Thursday, May 3, 2012

foodies

At church two sundays ago, strange things were happening. First, Graham was there which is rare because he is usually working on sundays... I am pretty sure everyone thinks I am a single woman who occasionally brings a bearded man to church with me. Second strange thing, I leaned over to Graham and told him I was intensely craving mac n' cheese with cut up hot dogs. 


If you don't know me, then you don't know how concerning this was. Naturally I went home and took a pregnancy test. Passed! Okay.. So I figured it was a bit of my old self coming out. This was before graham, before disordered eating. This Alli that lived off of robintino's bread sticks, ranch, french fries, cold cereal, cheese whiz, andes mints, teddy grahams, etc. The fact that I did not become morbidly obese in high school is pretty surprising to me. The problem was I didn't know what good food was/is. 


Now I can fully give all the credit to my husband for introducing me to good food. While we were dating I would want to go to applebees or some chain restaurant with sub par food. But Graham would take me to strange places that ranged from posh and swanky to hole  the wall, shady places. He taught me that food is an experience that should be enjoyed, not feared and not sub par. Little did he know he was creating a monster! 


                                                 I am now a food snob. don't judge me.


The problem is we live in Redlands, California. And there are not very many places we enjoy eating out at unless we drive into LA. So this past year I have spent much of my time cooking. I cook with fresh, local, healthy ingredients and it has really become something I am passionate about. I am no pro, but I have come a long way from boxed mac n' cheese. Let me share some of my favorite meals with you. 


Kale and sweet potato soup with brown rice
Roasted Beet salad with toasted pecans and blue cheese
made up by yours truely
Over the rainbow cabbage salad with tahini dressing


The perfect veggie burger

1 comment:

  1. Ok Alli I could tell you were a great photographer but this seals the deal! Taking pictures of food (and having them look appetizing) is one incredible feet! I'll have to try some of these amazing creations... I think I had a similar experience as you (at least I can't eat at applebees anymore).

    ReplyDelete